JB in Aladdin, Panto in Glasgow 2010-11

TV, Radio & Stage Concerts, Pantomimes and other MT roles
Caradoc

Re: JB in Aladdin, Panto in Glasgow 2010-11

Post by Caradoc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Alison and I made it to Glasgow (to our amazement) over an obstacle course starting with the weather, continuing with my dog sitter being asked to go in to hospital for a small operation on a date in the middle of our booked dates. (Luckily she was able to re-arrange, and happy to do so).

The panto - for me - was awful. Everyone in it seemed brilliant. JB was just back from illness but was full of fun and singing very well. The Krankies were very funny (except for their final bit where I didn't like the Susan Boyle take off). And so on. Hope next years panto or show does justice to the talent of the people in it.

JB was not signing autographs, but he did not hurry away and explained why and had a few nice words with those waiting.

Wonderful, wonderful man.

gabby

Post by gabby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Caradoc wrote:Alison and I made it to Glasgow (to our amazement) over an obstacle course starting with the weather, continuing with my dog sitter being asked to go in to hospital for a small operation on a date in the middle of our booked dates. (Luckily she was able to re-arrange, and happy to do so).

The panto - for me - was awful. Everyone in it seemed brilliant. JB was just back from illness but was full of fun and singing very well. The Krankies were very funny (except for their final bit where I didn't like the Susan Boyle take off). And so on. Hope next years panto or show does justice to the talent of the people in it.

JB was not signing autographs, but he did not hurry away and explained why and had a few nice words with those waiting.

Wonderful, wonderful man.
i am curious to know what you found was so awful about the panto ?! i'm not being funny , just intrested - i loved it , but i know panto is'nt to every ones taste

kate

Post by kate » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:49 pm

im not keen on pantos (havent seen the one john just been in )but if i see one its prob cos i like the actor in it ,i find most of them cheesey so can see why someone would think a panto is awful

gabby

Post by gabby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:03 pm

kate wrote:im not keen on pantos (havent seen the one john just been in )but if i see one its prob cos i like the actor in it ,i find most of them cheesey so can see why someone would think a panto is awful

i think that's the thing , panto is a very christmassy cheesey thing , they always have been , i think as long as you know that before you go it will be fine !

personally i remember my dad taking me when i was little and panto to me is part of christmas , corney jokes and all

if you go just to see a certain actor you just have to be prepared for that you may not enjoy the show

kate

Post by kate » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm

yup, i dont hate the pantos i been to mainly cos the performers in them have been great so i get enjoyment from themi guess caradoc might ve felt the same way

aresnz

Post by aresnz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:49 pm

I've never been to Panto and they don't have anything like that here in the States. Having read about them on the boards and such, you'd have to go with an open mind. Of course I'd probably go for the star in the show; but would still have to go knowing it'll be crazy with cheesy jokes, etc. That way it'll be fun no matter what. :D
Lori

kate

Post by kate » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:08 pm

pantos are kinda like disney movies ( i think anyway) with silly jokes and a man dressed up as a woman ,they are fun but not for everyone

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:15 pm

aresnz wrote:I've never been to Panto and they don't have anything like that here in the States. Having read about them on the boards and such, you'd have to go with an open mind. Of course I'd probably go for the star in the show; but would still have to go knowing it'll be crazy with cheesy jokes, etc. That way it'll be fun no matter what. :D
I've never been to a Panto either but for me they sound like much more fun then the childrens theatre productions I've seen here, which are mostly classical fairy tales. Panto looks like a good opportunity the introduce kids to theatre and the bring a whole family to do something together in the holiday season and not only sitting in front of the tv.

gabby

Post by gabby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Lenny wrote:
aresnz wrote:I've never been to Panto and they don't have anything like that here in the States. Having read about them on the boards and such, you'd have to go with an open mind. Of course I'd probably go for the star in the show; but would still have to go knowing it'll be crazy with cheesy jokes, etc. That way it'll be fun no matter what. :D
I've never been to a Panto either but for me they sound like much more fun then the childrens theatre productions I've seen here, which are mostly classical fairy tales. Panto looks like a good opportunity the introduce kids to theatre and the bring a whole family to do something together in the holiday season and not only sitting in front of the tv.
that's exactly it ! i guese panto is just a very british thing , lots of us get brought up on it , like i said my dad used to take me when i was little ( my mum hated panto ! ) it's very often a kids introdution to theatre .
the jokes are usualy very corny ,lot's of songs , slapstick humour and there's lot's of audiance participation , as a kid i remember it being magical .
as an adult now i still love it , but now you realise that the jokes are for children on one level and often for adults on a totally diffent one ! but it's a chance to be a kid again even if it's only for one night , and boo the villan and cheer for the hero and the princess , and for me it always means the start of christmas
gabby

sam606

Post by sam606 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:46 pm

I share the view that the actors were all good but the panto was poor. I love panto and always have done but Aladdin just seemed to be even thinner on story/plot than any other i've ever seen. When thinking about Robin Hood we had quite a lot of 'plot' (or 'events'). There was the training of the merry men, the archery competition, the 'bannerman' procession, the failed execution, the ice skating, and the disappearance by magic of maid marion as well as the usual scenes of 'slapstick' and the finale wedding.

Aladdin certainly had good 'stand-up' comedy from the Krankies, and it had the 3D effetcs, but i thought it did lack a little in the 'action-adventure' department.

However, i did enjoy myself, i loved JB and Pete Gallagher and the actors did well with the material available to them. It was great meeting up with friends from around the country. I certainly do not regret going and i'd have seen it more often if i'd been able.