JB in Aladdin, Panto in Glasgow 2010-11

TV, Radio & Stage Concerts, Pantomimes and other MT roles
Snow

Re: JB in Aladdin, Panto in Glasgow 2010-11

Post by Snow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 pm

rheidol wrote:
Sally wrote: Robin Hood isn't one of the "traditional" stories for panto. It's only been "panto-ised" in the last couple of years.
However, it does spring from a traditional panto story, since the hero in 'Babes in the Wood' is traditionally Robin Hood - the 'lost' children are often played as being the siblings/other relatives of Maid Marion, so he rescues the fair maiden AND the lost children in one go. And at the Happy Ending King Richard the Lionheart turns up to make sure the children get their rightful inheritance back from the evil uncle/guardian/Sheriff of Nottingham....'Babes' as such is very rarely played today ( a very real threat to children isn't considered to be in great taste....) but you do still see the halfway-title 'Robin Hood & The Babes in the Wood' done sometimes.
aye, that's true. i remember seeing that when i was a little 'un :). (and the audience singing the Robin Hood song :p)
"I would wish that people would accept people for who they are, not be judgemental, allow people to live their lives and enjoy themselves and that would be my wish for people." - John Barrowman

"Never doubted him, never will" - Captain Jack Harkness

tina

Post by tina » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Snow wrote:
rheidol wrote:
Sally wrote: Robin Hood isn't one of the "traditional" stories for panto. It's only been "panto-ised" in the last couple of years.
However, it does spring from a traditional panto story, since the hero in 'Babes in the Wood' is traditionally Robin Hood - the 'lost' children are often played as being the siblings/other relatives of Maid Marion, so he rescues the fair maiden AND the lost children in one go. And at the Happy Ending King Richard the Lionheart turns up to make sure the children get their rightful inheritance back from the evil uncle/guardian/Sheriff of Nottingham....'Babes' as such is very rarely played today ( a very real threat to children isn't considered to be in great taste....) but you do still see the halfway-title 'Robin Hood & The Babes in the Wood' done sometimes.
aye, that's true. i remember seeing that when i was a little 'un :). (and the audience singing the Robin Hood song :p)
I remember being taken to 'Babes In The Wood' panto when I was young and vaguely remember Robin Hood in it

Caradoc

Post by Caradoc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Sorry for delay in answering gabby.

I thought the panto was very poor because the storyline was very thin and the songs appeared to be very short. Aladdin was the first panto I saw JB in in Birmingham and that version was much more interesting, and the songs more satisfying.

However, I go to panto to see JB because he is always so brilliant on stage. I prefer the concerts to panto, and having seen JB in La Cage aux Folles, in musicals more than that !

But - I must stress again, the cast were all excellent.

rheidol

Post by rheidol » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 am

Don't think it's been posted before - there's surreptitious video of the last night....

http://www.johnbarrowman.org/aladdin-in-glasgow.html

:D

Particularly like his final speech: he's a team player!! :thumbsup: