Forum Code of Conduct

Posting guidelines. Everyone should read the posts inside here. Thank you.
Snow

Forum Code of Conduct

Post by Snow » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 pm

THE FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT

These guidelines have been drawn up to help keep this ever-growing Forum running smoothly and happily. I want to draw some lines to keep this a pleasant and manageable place. This Forum exists because of its members, and adopts the tone of voice of that membership. Therefore I have enacted this code of conduct to prevent poor, arrogant and grumpy behaviour by any user.

This forum is moderated. This is to protect it from spam as well as to ensure that the group remains positive. Please note the Administrator and future moderator(s), have the discretion to delete any post, although I will endeavour to explain why, when necessary.

1. Respect For Other Users (including no flaming, baiting, or personal attacks)

All members of this Forum will respect the opinions and presence of other members of the Forum. You are welcome to engage in challenging and spirited debate, but I will not tolerate rudeness or failure to accept that another member has a right to their opinion even if you do not agree with it. Disrespecting other users or throwing personal insults against them will not be tolerated, either from an instigator -or- from anyone who feels like they should respond to such instigation. Flaming another user because of their spelling or word choice will not be tolerated either. Personal attacks of any kind are not allowed and users who violate this will have their access reviewed and possibly terminated. As stated before this forum is moderated, this should protect it from the extremes that can occur on unmoderated forums. But, if you are still offended by a post or if you have an issue with another user, please contact the administrator.

2. Respect For New Members

Flaming new members for their ignorance on proper posting procedures, their grammar or spelling issues, or the content of their messages is expressly forbidden. You are welcome to debate and question them, but not to attack them for being new and unsure of the rules.

3. Respect For Other People

Disrespectful personal comments about others, including public personalities is not tolerated. You are welcome to discuss their work, to constructively criticise their abilities as writers/actors/etc., and comment on their merits/performance, but personal attacks against them -- anything regarded as a personal affront -- are not welcome. A good rule of thumb is to consider whether you would make the comment to that person's face.

4. Respect For The Forum

Trolling (purposely posting messages designed solely to alarm other users) will not be tolerated. I will determine if someone is trolling. Members are also asked NOT to take moderation into their own hands by picking on other users; If there is a problem with a post, report it to me so that I know there is an issue. Additionally, our members will practice common courtesy in dealing with the staff, other users and the administrator of this Forum, and likewise the staff of the Forum will treat its members with respect.

5. Respect For The Staff

The Forum is under the sole authority of its Administrators. If you have an issue with the way a staff member is behaving or disagree with their judgment, you are asked to please contact the Administrators via private message to express your concerns, instead of taking matters into your own hands. Also, while we grant our users the utmost discretion and freedom, there is no guaranteed right of free speech (or right toward anything else, for that matter) in this community, and I make no guarantees at all about its operation, its moderation or its policies; the Forum is operated solely at the leisure of the Forum Administrators, in their free time, and no user is guaranteed the right to be here as a participant. I reserve the right to terminate any user's membership for any reason at any time.

6. Respect for copyright.

Links to things you do not hold the copyright for (such as illegal downloads & written article scans) are NOT permitted. Do NOT post them here.

7. Other Rules

7.1. No swearing/cursing or other abusive language. Not everyone appreciates colourful language and some are offended by it, so keep it to a minimum.

7.2. There is to be no SMS language (also known as texting language or txt talk), either. For example, later as 'l8r' and you as 'u' and so on, for further definitions try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language. This is because I have disliked other forums where this has become prevalent. Also due the international posters on this board, not everyone may understand what you are trying to say.

7.3. In order to make this place more userfriendly, no large graphics are to be posted. The maximum width is so that it fits on the page, which is 800 pixels. If you do want to post larger images then post a link to the the clickable thumbnail link to the large image. If you do not know how to do that then post the large image and ask Snow to alter the post so it's a clickable picture link. Also do not 'hotlink' images from other sites. It is not good practice.

7.3b Do not post pictures that are copyrighted to the official JB.com website, (they usually have 'johnbarrowman.com' on them somewhere). This also includes screencaps of videos from the site. Post a link to the webpage on JB.com they are on by all means. that's fine. (The Webmaster of JB.com has asked people not to repost them anywhere. I respect this request and therefore so does this forum).

7.4. Signatures are to be no more than 5 lines of text and must not contain banners and/or pictures.

7.5. Fanfiction discussion is welcome. You may post a link to your fanfic, but please don't post fanfics here.

7.6 Please do not copy word for word the emails posted by the JB Official News Yahoo Group. They don't appreciate it when it happens as they are for the members of the Yahoo Group. They request that their emails are not to be copied verbatim to other sites, I respect this request and so therefore does this Forum. It's acceptable to impart the information they contain though unless otherwise specified by the moderators of that group. Just relay the information without copying the original email word for word. It is always possible to distill the relevant information & doesn't take long.

8. Finally, your suggestions are always encouraged!

The Administrator appreciates your support in making this site an enjoyable place to be. Your feedback - good or bad - is always appreciated. If you have any questions, about its policies, or anything else, please do not hesitate to contact Admin.

with regards,
Snow, forum Administrator.
"I would wish that people would accept people for who they are, not be judgemental, allow people to live their lives and enjoy themselves and that would be my wish for people." - John Barrowman

"Never doubted him, never will" - Captain Jack Harkness

Snow

Re: Forum Code of Conduct

Post by Snow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Dear All,

Due to times a changing the following rule has been rescinded:
7.7 If you wish to post a link here to any fan reports/photos on a social networking site* of JB (or his family) that isn't your own then please check with the person that posted the report/photo that they are ok with them being linked/reposted here.

links to non-fan reports/photos do not need to be checked (e.g. links to individual tweets by Team_Barrowman on Twitter).

*such as Twitter/Twitpic/Livejournal entry/Facebook/Myspace/Bebo/tumblr/any other networking/blogging/microblogging sites.

If people are not sure whether they think a link needs checking then ask me via pm.
So it no longer applies.

If you want to link to someones Tweet/Twitpic/Livejournal/Facebook post/Myspace whatever/Bebo whatever/tumblr goodies then that's fine.

Just be sensible to what you link to :).

Just one rule regarding linking: Do not post links to adult content.
"I would wish that people would accept people for who they are, not be judgemental, allow people to live their lives and enjoy themselves and that would be my wish for people." - John Barrowman

"Never doubted him, never will" - Captain Jack Harkness