New Concert DVD

JB stuff to buy...
sspaz1000

Re: New Concert DVD

Post by sspaz1000 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:42 pm

Lenny wrote:The crucial things regarding NTSC/Pal are mostly not the players but the screens you use to watch. The crucial thing for the player is the region code. But NTSC/Pal is about the frame rate and frequencies your screen uses. There are only slightly differences between the systems. Most tv-screens can deal with both and computer screens shouldn't have a problem at all as usually the graphic card is able to make the necessary adjustments. So this of course should not have happened and I hope Gavin holds the company on regress for this mess but for most of the buyers it shouldn't be such a big problem. Most may not even have noticed it at all.

Considering 99% of DVD players sold at regular stores in the US, are set to be Region 1 only, and can only be modified thus breaking a warranty, yes it was noticeable and yes it was a problem.

As for computers, it doesn't matter about graphics cards and other stuff, the key is here, that after a certain amount of time, your computer gets locked into what ever region disc is played the most. So if I watched my screwed up PAL version on my computer lets say 5 times, I would now no longer be able to watch any of my NTSC DVD's on my computer anymore.

Yes, there are ways of modifying your software, but again that comes at a price of voiding your warranty should anything else happen to your machine after you've modified it.

This is a bigger deal than you realize as most people are not tech geniuses to go about and hack/modify/tear apart their machines.

Snow

Post by Snow » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:02 pm

aresnz wrote:(I keep thinking the 1st live DVD was from this company??)
it was
"I would wish that people would accept people for who they are, not be judgemental, allow people to live their lives and enjoy themselves and that would be my wish for people." - John Barrowman

"Never doubted him, never will" - Captain Jack Harkness

Sally

Post by Sally » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:10 pm

aresnz wrote:
This has been noiced thus the email from the JB website. Many people,not just in US but Japan are having the same problems. Not playing in their DVD player. Sure, you can play on your computer, but too many playbacks from different region will then lock that region into you computer system.
It's not the region that's the problem, it's the format, ie PAL or NTSC. It's region 0 so that won't affect your PC. It won't lock on PAL or NTSC.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:57 pm

sspaz1000 wrote:Considering 99% of DVD players sold at regular stores in the US, are set to be Region 1 only, and can only be modified thus breaking a warranty, yes it was noticeable and yes it was a problem.

As for computers, it doesn't matter about graphics cards and other stuff, the key is here, that after a certain amount of time, your computer gets locked into what ever region disc is played the most. So if I watched my screwed up PAL version on my computer lets say 5 times, I would now no longer be able to watch any of my NTSC DVD's on my computer anymore.

Yes, there are ways of modifying your software, but again that comes at a price of voiding your warranty should anything else happen to your machine after you've modified it.

This is a bigger deal than you realize as most people are not tech geniuses to go about and hack/modify/tear apart their machines.
You'er mixing things. Region code and NTSC/Pal are two completely different things. You're right regarding the region lock most players have but that wasn't a problem as John's DVD is sold as region free, so working everyhere and no need to do any illegal action or buy a special player.

But this has nothing to do with NTSC or PAL. You could theoretically have a region 1 (aka USA) DVD in Pal or a region 2 (Europe) DVD in NTSC. Just usually the DVD (as video tapes in former times) come along in the TV-system which is common in this region aka region 1/NTSC, region 2/PAL (or SECAM) but a region 0 DVD should work with most screens you get on the market.

PAL, NTSC and SECAM (and a few more less common systems) are only saying something about the picture you have on your tv screen. It does not matter if this comes from a DVD, a video tape or from the usual tv-signal you got fron yout antenna or cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

NTSC color encoding is used with the system M television signal, which consists of 29.97 interlaced frames of video per second, or the nearly identical system J in Japan. Each frame consists of a total of 525 scanlines, of which 486 make up the visible raster. For comparison, 576i systems such as PAL-B/G and SECAM uses 625 lines (576 visible), and so have a higher vertical resolution, but a lower temporal resolution of 25 frames or 50 fields per second.

As I said most modern tv screens can handle both systems as the differences are not that big. Although you may discover a sligth loss in quality if you have a tv produced for the NTSC-market and watch pal or vice versa. I used to watch NTSC-video-tapes long before one had heard of DVD-players and region codes and I still watch them from time to time if iis something not avalaible on DVD. So you see NTSC has nothing to do with your DVD-player or any region code. It just depends if my tv screen can handle the ntsc-signal coming from the tape and so far anyone could (I think I have me third or eben fourth now since I started bying tapes). And of coruse I still need my old VCR.

Anyone in the US should check if pal works with their screen or not but a lot of people might discover it works. It's not a general rule that this DVDs will not play in the US.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 pm

Sally wrote:It's not the region that's the problem, it's the format, ie PAL or NTSC. It's region 0 so that won't affect your PC. It won't lock on PAL or NTSC.
The PC doesn't lock on PAl or NTSC. It only locks on the region code. PAL or NTSC is just a matter of configuring your graphic card or the programm you use to watch. I'd say most should recognise the difference automatically and make the proper adjustments. I never had to made any manual adjustments just to watch a US so NTSC DVD on my computer (I've to DVD-drives, one set to 2, the other set to 1).

Again. Don't mixe the region code of a dvd with the system used to create a picture on the screen. That's two completely different shoes.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:05 pm

aresnz wrote:This has been noiced thus the email from the JB website. Many people,not just in US but Japan are having the same problems. Not playing in their DVD player. Sure, you can play on your computer, but too many playbacks from different region will then lock that region into you computer system. I would hope Gavin and company will think twice before using this company again. (I keep thinking the 1st live DVD was from this company??)
But then I would say the problem rather is that it might not be region 0 like promised but indeed region 2. Maybe some DVDs were produced wrong in this regard but the company doesn't admit to it. The NTSC/Pal mix should not cause that much problems. As you discovered yourself it works. Not for anyone probably of coruse, depending on the screen you use. But it'S not completely not working either.

sspaz1000

Post by sspaz1000 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm not even going to get started on here, but apparently everyone else on here has to be right, and I get slammed. No wonder why I don't come on here that much anymore.

Then how come when I put it in my computer, my computer's DVD software said I had 4 more plays of a PAL format??

Contrary to what everyone else on this board believes, I do know what I am talking about.

aresnz

Post by aresnz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:32 pm

sspaz1000 wrote:I'm not even going to get started on here, but apparently everyone else on here has to be right, and I get slammed. No wonder why I don't come on here that much anymore.

Then how come when I put it in my computer, my computer's DVD software said I had 4 more plays of a PAL format??

Contrary to what everyone else on this board believes, I do know what I am talking about.

QFT... In spite of what others may think, sspaz1000 does indeed know what she's talking about here. She explained everythng a lot beter than I could or did. :clap:
Lori

Snow

Post by Snow » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

sspaz1000 wrote: but apparently everyone else on here has to be right,
no they don't. :)

not even me.
and I get slammed.

i see that lenny has been rather forthright in her replies, i take it that is the problem?

as for the discussion there's nothing much i can do as you both appear to have a valid opinion.
No wonder why I don't come on here that much anymore.
that's a pity. i'm sorry to hear you feel that way :(.
how do you know that everyone else believes you don't know what your talking about? one person has replied to you. If you take the response of one person as what everyone else thinks, no wonder you feel discouraged from posting :(.

i see from your signature that you are unhappy here. if there are other incidents, why you don't take them up with me via pm?
"I would wish that people would accept people for who they are, not be judgemental, allow people to live their lives and enjoy themselves and that would be my wish for people." - John Barrowman

"Never doubted him, never will" - Captain Jack Harkness

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 pm

aresnz wrote:QFT... In spite of what others may think, sspaz1000 does indeed know what she's talking about here. She explained everythng a lot beter than I could or did. :clap:
You, by yourself, discovered that you had no problem to play a pal-DVD on your systems, rigth? So yourself are the proof that it is not a general rule that pal-DVDs don't run on NTSC-systems like spatz suggested. It's not a general rule that it runs on any ntsc-tv/pc-screen either. Anyone has to figure it out with his/her own system. It might depend on which brand your tv or pc screen is from, maybe it even has something to do if you use a digital ro analog cable to connect player/tv - i'm not sure about this, but I know that digital connections (hdmi-cable - hope this is the name used in US as well) are sometimes causing problems with the copyrigth protection of DVDs which a analog scart-cable doesn't.

The company messed thing up that's a fact and anyone should ask to get what he/she really ordered and ask for a replacement. But I also suggest before anyone in US has to wait more weeks for the dvd (and as surely most of you couldn't make it to the concerts and are even more eagerly waiting for it to arive and watch), just give the dvd you got a try first. The odds aren't that bad that it works on your systems.