New Concert DVD

JB stuff to buy...
Lenny

Re: New Concert DVD

Post by Lenny » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:00 am

sspaz1000 wrote:I'm not even going to get started on here, but apparently everyone else on here has to be right, and I get slammed. No wonder why I don't come on here that much anymore.

Then how come when I put it in my computer, my computer's DVD software said I had 4 more plays of a PAL format??

Contrary to what everyone else on this board believes, I do know what I am talking about.
This is really strange. I did a lot of research as I bought my second drive and any board I read through stated the same. You need to look for the region code but NTSC/Pal doesn't matter. And this is also the experience I made. the first tiem I used an RC 1 disc it asked me to change to code on the player and that was it. It never complaint about the video formating. I'm sorry that you have this problems. It's probably one of the ever present technical mysteries.

My guess is they really put an RC 2 code on the DVDs when it was supposed to be region free (as most concert DVDs are btw as the usual region strcited copyrigth issues with movies/tv shows don't apply to them). My Albert Hall DVD cover says it's RC 2 (although it was sold as RC0) but the ASDA box says it's RC0. They really must have messed things up.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 am

Snow wrote:i see that lenny has been rather forthright in her replies, i take it that is the problem?
I'm really sorry if I came across this way. it was in no way my intention. I've probably explained the code and video format differences one time too much in my life, so that it starts to get sucking. Not to mention that I find it unnerving that nearly anything on this world - be it the curve of a banana or the length of a condom - seems to be regulated by authorities but the companies aren't able (or rather aren't willing) to agree on just one technical system. That would make customers life so much easier.

I apologize from the bottom of my heart if I offended anyone with my comments.

aresnz

Post by aresnz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:18 am

Lenny wrote:
aresnz wrote:QFT... In spite of what others may think, sspaz1000 does indeed know what she's talking about here. She explained everythng a lot beter than I could or did. :clap:
You, by yourself, discovered that you had no problem to play a pal-DVD on your systems, rigth? So yourself are the proof that it is not a general rule that pal-DVDs don't run on NTSC-systems like spatz suggested. It's not a general rule that it runs on any ntsc-tv/pc-screen either. Anyone has to figure it out with his/her own system. It might depend on which brand your tv or pc screen is from, maybe it even has something to do if you use a digital ro analog cable to connect player/tv - i'm not sure about this, but I know that digital connections (hdmi-cable - hope this is the name used in US as well) are sometimes causing problems with the copyrigth protection of DVDs which a analog scart-cable doesn't.

The company messed thing up that's a fact and anyone should ask to get what he/she really ordered and ask for a replacement. But I also suggest before anyone in US has to wait more weeks for the dvd (and as surely most of you couldn't make it to the concerts and are even more eagerly waiting for it to arive and watch), just give the dvd you got a try first. The odds aren't that bad that it works on your systems.

You misunderstood me and I am not your proof for anything. My two DVDs were NTSC marked and do seem to be NTSC versions. If they were PAL they wouldn't have played on my regular DVD player. Obviously LACE had a huge batch of DVD's mismarked. Which is inexcusable. AGAIN..if they were PAL they would NOT have played on my regular DVD player.

I got a PAL dvd many years ago not realizing I needed a different type of player to play the PAL version. Obviously the dvd didn't work.
Lori

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 am

aresnz wrote:You misunderstood me and I am not your proof for anything. My two DVDs were NTSC marked and do seem to be NTSC versions. If they were PAL they wouldn't have played on my regular DVD player. Obviously LACE had a huge batch of DVD's mismarked. Which is inexcusable. AGAIN..if they were PAL they would NOT have played on my regular DVD player.

I got a PAL dvd many years ago not realizing I needed a different type of player to play the PAL version. Obviously the dvd didn't work.
You can't have a pal or a ntsc player. You either have a region 1 player or a region 2 player, a region 5 etc pp or region free player. You have an ntsc tv screen or a pal tv screen. That's what i tried to explain. ntsc/pal and region 1/2/0 are two completely different kind of things. The region code says in which part of the world you can play a dvd with your player or drive, the ntsc/pal says what kind of tv signal is used to produce a picture on your. screen (no matter from which source). Usually a region 1 player would be connected to a ntsc screen as both are the things used in north america and parts of asia, a region 2 player would be connected to a pal screen as it is used in europe. But I can take a player bought here and connect it to your tv or take your player and connect it to my tv and it would work in most cases as most screens can handle the other signal as well. Believe me I watch ntsv-tapes since twenty years and region 1 dvd since maybe 7 or 8 years and never had a problem watching them on my pal screens. All I need is to have a region free player. So why shouldn't it work the other way around as well, playing a pal tv signal on an screen designed for the ntsc market?

I understand that they did produce pal instead of ntsc discs and put them in the ntsc boxes. The burned the wrong data stream on the disc, the wrong format. So just that ntsc is written on your disc does not mean it really is one.

mojee

Post by mojee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:09 am

Not getting into the debate on format, I have no idea. Just wanted to say that my visitors have finally left and I got some time to sit down alone and watch the DVD. I have fallen for John all over again :cloud9: I knew he could sing, but oh boy!!!! Going to do my best to make it over for the next concert, it would be so worth it. :squee: :-D

rheidol

Post by rheidol » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:35 pm

mojee wrote: I have fallen for John all over again :cloud9: I knew he could sing, but oh boy!!!! Going to do my best to make it over for the next concert, it would be so worth it. :squee: :-D
Glad you've enjoyed so much!! :)
Yes, it IS so worth it if you can see him live - but the DVD is great for those who can't, & to enhance the memories if you were lucky enough to be there (I was!!!!! :D )

kate

Post by kate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:23 pm

yup,if you can you should see him live ,hes fantastic cos hes got so much energy