Commonwealth Games - July 2014

John Barrowman singing on the TV!
Sally

Re: Commonwealth Games - July 2014

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Lenny wrote: But she sounded like she believed it is.
You're accusing me of insulting you while telling me I'm stupid and don't know history???!!! I never said the Commonwealth was the whole world so please read properly before you attack.

Sally

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:07 pm

rheidol wrote:Nice pick-up from CNN - so the US will see this too!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/23/sport ... ueen-bolt/

:thumbsup:
Woohoo!

Thanks Snow for the great screen caps! He certainly cut a dash, though that suit must have been so hot!

rheidol

Post by rheidol » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:52 pm

A happy (squidgy, chocolatey) extra from the number:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... CMP=twt_gu

:thumbsup: 8)

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Sally wrote:
Lenny wrote: Outside the commonwealth there wouldn't be much interest in the games. This ceremony will never be shown in german tv. Most people here will not know that the games are on. Newspapers will only cover the results in sidelines. It's in no way as big as the Olympics. And i guess that's the same with other non commonwealth countryies. Sorry to disappoint you here but the commonwealth is not the whole world any more.
The Commonwealth never was the "whole world" but the opening ceremony has achieved headlines around the world, including in Germany, where John was hailed as a "hero". I've also seen headlines from news sources in the US (CNN), France (Le Monde), Spain and Chile, none of which are members of the Commonwealth.

These Games may not be considered as "big" as the Olympics, but they are still getting global coverage.
Yeah it got some coverage afterwards in the internet. But no network was broadcasting the ceremony on tv. Not even Eurosport or Sport 1, our sports networks. And if not for the kiss it wouldn't have got this coverage at all. It's great that people talk about that kiss although it is also sad that it is still such a big topic when in fact it just should be the most natural thing in the world. But nobody here has seen John's whole performance on tv. Or anyone else perfomance. Or the competitions. What's also sad btw because there surely will be great sports with lots of great athlets. I for my part would at least have loved to see the diving with Matthew Mitcham and I guess Tom Daley, too? I know that Matt is there because he posted it on facebook but I have no idea about Tom.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Sally wrote:

Woohoo!

Thanks Snow for the great screen caps! He certainly cut a dash, though that suit must have been so hot!
I was wondering why he wasn't wearing a kilt. Does anyone have a guess why?

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 pm

Sally wrote:
Lenny wrote: But she sounded like she believed it is.
You're accusing me of insulting you while telling me I'm stupid and don't know history???!!! I never said the Commonwealth was the whole world so please read properly before you attack.
You accused my first of "raining on John's parade". You're words not mine. I really felt insulted from you about that. I don't know if I'm not able to make myself understandable for you because I'm not a native english seaker. But I don't like it if people insult me of having negative feelings towards John or towards the things he does. This really did upset me because you accused me of the oppossite I wanted to say and I felt. For me you sounded verry arrogant with your statement that the Commenwealth Games are as big as the Olympics. Maybe I don't understand you correctly as well. I apolgize for that.

Snow

Post by Snow » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:03 pm

Lenny wrote:
Sally wrote:

Woohoo!

probably because the lady that sang along with him had a kilt on already? :)

also if he's running around and climbing up that big crane in a big hurry and fastening the safety line (also in a big hurry) I guess it's probably easier and so safer if he was wearing trousers?
"I would wish that people would accept people for who they are, not be judgemental, allow people to live their lives and enjoy themselves and that would be my wish for people." - John Barrowman

"Never doubted him, never will" - Captain Jack Harkness

rheidol

Post by rheidol » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:06 am

Snow wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Sally wrote:

Woohoo!

probably because the lady that sang along with him had a kilt on already? :)

also if he's running around and climbing up that big crane in a big hurry and fastening the safety line (also in a big hurry) I guess it's probably easier and so safer if he was wearing trousers?
Yep, the going-up-on-a-big-lift thing would have been distinctly risky - & risque! - in a kilt...:p